Saturday, March 17, 2012

Nokia 808 Pureview - To Capture Every Single Detail with a 41 MP Camera!



For about 6 years now, I've never been amazed by any other Nokia phone since the very day I got my hands on my Nokia N70. If you're reading some of my articles for a while, you know by now that I'd never replaced my Nokia N70 until late last year when it finally died. During those years when Nokia was fully dominating the smartphone market, I'd never seen any reason to replace it with anything that Nokia released, no matter how better their specs were. I'm not sure why, maybe because the newer Nokia phones didn't really have any mind-blowing feature that was reason enough for me to ditch my phone. Not until now...

During the Mobile Web Congress last February 27 to March 1, Nokia surprised the world with a stunning revelation: a smartphone with a 41-megapixel camera! So how does it work? Well, let's take a look at Nokia's information on the phone on its press release.


"The Nokia 808 PureView features a large, high-resolution 41 megapixel sensor with high-performance Carl Zeiss optics and new pixel oversampling technology.  At standard resolutions (2/3, 5 and 8 megapixels) this means the ability to zoom without loss of clarity and capture seven pixels of information, condensing into one pixel for the sharpest images imaginable.  At high-resolution (38 megapixel maximum) it means the ability to capture an image, then zoom, reframe, crop and resize afterwards to expose previously unseen levels of details."

Honestly, I can't tell if an image still looks good at such a high resolution as 38 megapixels. I'm no professional photographer, but I can tell the amount of detail that the Nokia's sample images has. And honestly, I'm stoked!

The downside of the phone is that the other specs aren't really that stellar, and especially, the OS is still Symbian Belle, which is gonna die 4 years from now. Nokia explained that the Pureview technology was a result of 5 years development and at that time, the OS of the Nokia phones was still Symbian. However, the Lumia handsets that will come out later will have the Pureview technology. I'm very excited to see this.


However, some people are already underestimating this phone. They try to reason out, "Why would I need something like this? I would take DSLRs over this any day of the week." In my opinion, this phone will not in any way replace your much more efficient DSLR. However, cameraphones still have some advantages over DSLRs, one of which is portability. I don't think you'd ever want to take your DSLR on the go so you can shoot those rare moments. Also, there are places where you can't bring your DSLR and a cameraphone is the only thing you can get away with. 

Other people might ask, "Why would I need a 41-MP camera phone? 8-MP is enough for me." Yeah, that's exactly what I thought 6 years ago when I had my Nokia N70 and I told myself, "2-MP is enough for me." Improvements like this are always welcome for me. 8-MP camera phone might be the norm now, who knows what could be the norm next year or even 2 years from now?

And now that Nokia has announced that the Pureview technology will also come to future Nokia Lumia handsets as well, I wonder if this is the trump card that Nokia needs along with Windows 7 phone to beat the competition.

If you want a more detailed explanation on why this cameraphone is revolutionary, I highly suggest reading this article.

 If you like this post, don't forget to subscribe to my RSS feed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best CD Rates