Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Hereby Declare Globe Superstick Totally Useless for Online Gaming!


My relationship with my Globe Superstick has been in a downhill lately. At first it was pretty decent, with download rates reaching maximum during off peak hours and more or less 50% otherwise. But now, I'm lucky if I could maintain a 3 Mbps average, which is even below 50% of my subscribed speed. The average I could get right now is a little over 2 Mbps during peak hours. Honestly, I can live with that, I don't really do too much downloading or HD streaming lately that I will need the full 7 Mbps speed that I've subscribed to. However, it seems like my speed is getting worse and worse by the day, and now my Globe Superstick is completely useless for online gaming.

Yes, I posted some tips recently on how to improve your connection for online gaming but the thing is it's very hard to find that time of the day with optimal connection that will let you play as smoothly as possible. I also said that I could still use it during weekdays when network traffic is pretty low but lately I've been trying every morning to no avail. And even if I succeed on connecting to one of the servers in Battlefield 3, I get kicked out of it after a few seconds. The connection is very very unstable and it's frustrating to play knowing that the connection will drop a few moments later. And yeah, I've tried on other online games like Starhawk beta so it's not with the EA servers or the game.

My Superstick is also now useless in my work, I get dropped out of VPN after a few minutes. Conference calls always drop as well, pretty embarassing when I'm talking to a client counterpart from overseas. It could be the same problem with online gaming but I can't really tell what's wrong.

I've exhausted all workarounds that I can think of and maintained a consistently low ping rate but all my efforts were in vain. I've tried asking my friends in Globe but it seems like there's no other way to solve this but to subscribe to a wired connection like DSL, which means I have to terminate my current subscription (I can have both of course but that would be impractical and costly).

I've weighed my options and thought about it if this Superstick subscription is worth keeping but it doesn't help that old subscribers like me are still paying the same subscription price since day 1 (P1299) while newer subscribers can get the same maximum speed for only P999. I asked Globe's Customer Service earlier and they don't allow any downgrades for my subscription, but then again, why downgrade if it's still useless in online gaming and my work?

I asked them about termination fees and since my lock-in period is not yet through, I have to pay P4995 for the device (the ZTE MF60) which I get to keep and P550 for the admin/termination fees. Fair enough I guess.


I'm not saying that Globe 3G is all that bad. I know a lot of people are getting into mobile internet these days and that's probably one of its best selling points - mobility. The idea that you can check your email as well as your Facebook feed anytime anywhere is a great thing, and in the end it all goes down to purpose. If you're always on the go and want to receive your important emails anywhere you are then I highly recommend this. If you're that social network junkie who wants to check your Facebook or Twitter feeds anywhere you go then I highly recommend this. If you want to download HD movies or any large files at high speed rates then I can recommend this to you as well. If you're like me who wants an internet connection to use for competitive online gaming then this is not for you. If only I'm not playing online games...

I will have my subscription cancelled after Holy Week and then subscribe to a DSL connection but the thing is, this device is still with me so I'd probably snap in a prepaid sim or subscribe again to a consumable plan depending on how often I would need to get online remotely. Who knows, once Globe have upgraded the cellsites here in my area to HSPA+ (take note that I'm trying to avoid the term 4G) I might have the interest again to have a postpaid subscription to Globe SuperStick, especially that they released recently a new SuperStick unit, the Huawei E355. But for now, so long Globe SuperStick. Nice knowing ya.
 If you like this post, don't forget to subscribe to my RSS feed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it! There are still other people experiencing poor connection from Globe Superstick. I thought I'm the only one. Tired of complaining. Tired of waiting for feedback from their support team. Tired of being transferred from one agent to another whenevel I call the hotline. You're still lucky you got the chance to enjoy the internet service for a period of time. Mine was useless. I never had the chance to connect to the internet at all. I regret choosing globe.

Laurent said...

Dude, seriously, Phils telecoms need to get sued - these are total lies and would never stand in any other country. So here is a bit about corporate law you need to know :
If you write a paper letter and send it to their HQ, they have to process it, file and answer to you personally via mail. This is extremely costly but more so, it gets filed and accessible to their shareholders.
If you want to get what you want, do that.

fleur said...

I experience the same poor connection and I asked globe if they can offer new plan for me but the agent didn't not call me as promised. For me there should be a policy or law that protect costumers from TELCOs that fail to provide quality services just like globe. I want to drop my subscription but there was an existing 2 years contract, so i was force to pay 1299 for 2 years. NTC should know these problems and must act accordingly to improve their services.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best CD Rates